To contribute to the development and efficient operation of care practice and the provision of a consistent level of service delivery to Young People. Due to regulations you have to be a minimum of 21 years of age to work with the young people in our care.
To assist in implementing systems and processes which reflect the aims, objectives and philosophy as laid down in the Practice Handbook.
To contribute to Health, Safety and well being of Young People.
Key Objectives of the post:
- To provide Residential Care to a quality standard which meets best practice and exceeds it whenever possible.
- To operate as cost effectively as possible while still achieving the quality objective.
- To cover for sickness and holidays and rota.
- The efficient and appropriate management of Young People during their stay within Prospects for Young People, as outlined in the Practice Handbook.
Broad duties associated with the Role:
1. Management of day to day routines to promote a positive care environment.
- To attend to all routine supervision duties as required for the general welfare of the Young People.
- To wake Young People up and settle them to bed in a manner that respects their individuality and privacy.
- To encourage Young People to take an interest in the upkeep of their own room.
- To ensure night monitoring system is activated whilst sleeping in.
- To respond to the night monitoring system and record as necessary.
- To ensure appointments made for Young People are kept and transport provided to carry them.
- To undertake and complete domestic tasks on a shared basis i.e. cooking; cleaning; shopping; day to day maintenance.
- To participate in the daily routines involved in keeping the household clean and tidy.
- To contribute to a daily handover process which picks up on, any issues that may have arisen.
- To attend hand-over meetings whilst on duty.
2. Team participation in terms of Residential Care Practice in accordance with the Policy and Guidance laid down in the Practice Handbook.
- To be pro-active in promoting an anti-discriminatory approach in all aspects of the work within Prospects both in respect of adults and Young People.
- To participate as an active and supportive member of the team of staff on duty in supporting colleagues and sharing in tasks / responsibilities.
- To attend additional / Extra Ordinary Meetings as required.
3. Health Promotion.
- To uphold and comply with the organisational smoking policy.
- To actively discourage Young People from smoking both by personal example and discussion.
4. Record Keeping.
- To countersign all Log entries in full, when having made an entry .
- Ensure that recording within Open Access Files are kept up to date.
- To ensure whilst on duty, the completion of all records including log, unauthorised absence, sanction, incident record books etc.
- To ensure all records are legible, accurate and complete and appropriately dated, signed and counter-signed in full.
5. Boundary and Limit Setting.
- To set appropriate and reasonable boundaries around behaviour both with adults and Young People
- To consistently challenge abusive language both with adults and Young People and to act as appropriate Role Model in this area.
- To encourage appropriate Social Skills e.g. table manners; please and thank you etc.
- To encourage Young People to respect themselves and others.
6. Provision of a Leisure / Activity Programme.
- Contribute to and supervise a varied programme of stimulating leisure activities for Young People.
- Contribute to a range of activities that encourage the building of self-esteem and opportunities to achieve challenges.
- Contribute to identifying opportunities for Young People to achieve and experience success.
- To contribute to opportunity for Children / Young People to develop interests of their own.
- In situations where restraint is necessary to act within the laid down Procedure, using the suggested techniques from the Practice Handbook and account for action taken using the Incident Report format.
- To immediately report any incident to available on-duty Senior Manager.
- To pass on any concerns that could constitute a Child Protection issue to available on-duty Senior Manager.
- To liaise with the Education Team as necessary.
9. Communication and Liaison.
- To contribute to the effective liaison with neighbours and members of the local community by dealing with any complaints / enquiries politely and efficiently.
- To contribute to the effective communication within the team.
10. Management of Vehicles.
- To be responsible for the supervision of Young People in vehicles in terms of safety and damage.
- To ensure smoking is not allowed in vehicles.
- To ensure vehicles carry current road fund licence and M.O.T.
- To drive company vehicles in accordance with the laid-down Procedure.
11. General Maintenance of Physical Environment.
- To ensure any maintenance that is required is reported to the Manager as soon as possible.
12. Training and Professional Development.
- To complete an induction programme within 3 months in order to Register with the Care council for Wales.
- To prepare for and attend regular supervision.
- To attend Core Training programme.
- To complete NVQ at agreed level and within the defined timescale in order to maintain registration with the Care Council.
- To demonstrate an application of learning and development in contributing to the Child Care and Social Work Practice within Prospects.
- To complete Training Evaluation Records, when required, following each training course attended.
- To participate in own appraisal after the first 6 months and then annually.
13. Personal Presentation.
- To arrive on duty at the agreed time and be punctual in attendance at meetings.
- To be responsible for informing Manager immediately of absence due to sickness and provide as much notice as possible, of a return to work..
- To present an effective Role Model to members of the Team and Young People in terms of personal presentation; motivation; language, attitude and dress.
- Click here to download an application form in PDF format.
- Click here to download an application form in MS Word format.