Prospects for Young People are celebrating their success and achievements in the pursuit of delivering outstanding residential care for looked after children and young people.
Recently the organisation was recognised for its project to involve young people in planning services to ensure they were meeting their needs, and the company which was established in 1994 was announced as a winner in the Social Care Accolades, held at City Hall, Cardiff.
The Social Care Accolades led by the Care Council for Wales celebrate best practice, and the organisation which is based in Wrexham, won the Excellent Outcomes in the Care of Younger People, Children, and Early Years Accolade.
Following on from this success – in July 2013 the organisation staged its first Celebration of Achievements Award Ceremony. Co-directors Steve Elliott and Chris Edwards hosted the event in recognition of their employees’ successes in achieving remarkable outcomes for the children and young people in their care.
Care and education staff from across the organisation were nominated for awards in different categories and finalists were selected by a panel of independent professionals from the sector.
Steve Elliott said “It is important that we pause for a moment to reflect on and recognise the achievements of individuals who have consistently made outstanding and professional contributions to the task of looking after our young people with complex needs. We recognise that the work is often challenging however it is clear that commitment, enthusiasm, leadership, and innovation all translate into changing the lives of young people for the better.”
Awards were presented for achievements in categories as follows:
- Award for Innovation presented to Lewis Bennett, and Sarahann Jones was Highly Commended
- Award for Learning and Development presented to Zena Jones, with Ceri Philips being Highly Commended.
- Award for Excellence in Care Practice presented to Laura Hughes with Alex Moorhead, Marc Jones, and Trudi Wainwright all Highly Commended.
- Award for Excellence in Education Practice presented to David Glaves with Emma Jackson being Highly Commended.
- Award for Excellence in Leadership and Management presented to Nicola Jones, with John Cooper and Leah Thomas Coleman being Highly Commended.
- The Co-Directors Award was presented to The Person Centred Planning Champions; Liz Williams, Sharon Davies, Amanda Squire, Sarahann Jones, Sarah Howarth, Alex Moorhead, and Laura Hughes.
The afternoon ceremony was held at The Ramada Hotel in Wrexham and those attending enjoyed lunch, refreshments, and the summer sunshine. Chris Edwards said “This being the first year that we have introduced the Awards and Celebration Day I’m delighted with how the afternoon went, and we will certainly want to continue to recognise and celebrate outstanding examples of practice. As we head towards Prospects’ 20th Anniversary which we shall celebrate in 2014 we will continue to develop our practice and look forward to celebrating further successes next Summer.”